Friday 13 November 2015

Miniature Chest With Piston Fit Drawers, Alan Peters


Back in 1997 Alan Peters wrote an article for Fine Woodworking titled 'Fitting a Drawer', it was issue 125 and can be read here http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/fitting-a-drawer.aspx
I've read this article many times and is a must if you want to achieve a well fitted drawer. The little desk top cabinet in that article really caught my eye and so I decided to make one.


The wonderful walnut was purchased from Alan Peters widow Laura, as was the the rippled sycamore for the drawer sides. The drawer dividers are scalloped, giving access to a finger groove under the drawer front, no fat fingers here!


The through dovetails give a decorative touch which was often used by Alan, although not on the cabinet in the article. An interesting feature is the back of the drawers which instead of being dovetailed, was set in 3" from the back and tenoned with tiny walnut wedges. This gives full access to the contents without risking the drawer falling out of the cabinet, great idea.


I book matched the rear panel with the top, it may not be seen much but is a nice touch.
I've written an article on the making which will be appearing with a full exploded drawing in the next few months. I'll post when it comes out.


9 comments:

  1. I love pieces like this that are beautiful at first glance and only gets more so as you take in each detail. I'll have to look into that wedge/tenon technique. Fantastic piece, David.
    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comments I'm glad you like it. All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful chest David, how many hours did it take. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim, Thank you. I started it a few months ago and I've been working on it when I've had time, I reckon about 4 hours to prep the parts and about 30 hours to make. Now I've got to collate the photos, sketch the construction and write the article! All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it didn't know just how well it would turn out until now. Really like the booked matched rear panel, as always great attention to the finest details, look at just how many dovetails are holding the case together !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it really came alive when the oil hit! All the best, David.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete