Saturday 29 March 2014

Tool Auction


This was the first time I'd been to one of David Stanley's International Auctions and it was certainly a step up from the General Auctions. There were far more dealer stalls and of course the quality (and prices) of the tools was far greater.


These two tool boxes would certainly have caught the attention of Chris Schwarz, wonderful interiors, particularly the one on the right which is from the Russell collection and featured in his fine book.
I met up with Derek Jones (the one in the middle) who is one half of The New English Workshop, you can see their interesting blog here http://newenglishworkshop.wordpress.com/


I was sorely tempted by this 'triptych' (tool cabinet to you and me) of mainly Holtzapffel carving tools, 144 in all. They needed a fair bit of work and I just don't have that sort of time to spare.


This was a rare and very beautiful plane made by Mathieson, one of only ten made in this style with the loaf shaped front bun. I left before this lot came up but it was well out of my league.


Lastly this superb model 982 by Karl Holtey was very generously donated by him to help with a school in a remote area of Nepal. It has special Polymer handles which were a joy to hold and the detail and workmanship of the whole plane were awe inspiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment