Thursday 3 January 2013

Brian Boggs Chair


In 2008 Brian Boggs came to the UK to teach a chair making course at West Dean College. I didn't attend but wish I had. At the end of the course the chair he made was sold in a blind auction and I was lucky enough to win it.


It is one of the most comfortable chairs I have ever sat in.


There are curves all round and it's the result of one very skilled man dedicating himself to building a specific style of chair for many years. All of the parts are left straight from the tool (draw knife and spoke shave) which is not immediately obvious until you run your fingers over the surfaces.


The pegs are tented using a chisel bevel side down and add a nice little touch.


The top of the legs are skilfully rounded, again by hand and the seat is woven with bark.
I think he normally oils his chairs but this was left unfinished and in my view all the better for it.
The underneath of the chair is signed and dated.


1 comment:

  1. The details of this chair look very well designed , i think it must be comfortable to sit on too ! Hope you will post more things soon

    ReplyDelete