Friday 23 November 2012

Japanese Vintage Knife by Ishido Hideo


A year ago I bought this Kiridashi knife from from an American who bought it direct from Hideos widow and her son Yoshitaka, the current Teruhide.
Here is the Ishido lineage http://thejapanblade.com/ishido_line.htm
I also have a small kanna by Ishido Hideo and a 70mm kanna by his father TeruhideSeiichi from the 1940-50's, more of those on another day.


The blade is signed Ishedo Teruhide, done by hand rather than with a stamp.


The blade is made of Blue Swedish steel and the body is old wrought iron. The knife is a large size, 8 3/16" x 1" wide and the cutting edge is 2 1/8" long.


The other side is marked HAKU REN (one hundred hits) referring to the making method.
The box is marked O KOGATANA (hand knife) and has the red Ishido seal on the end.
Although a few years old the knife has not been used and I'm afraid it will stay that way under my ownership.


5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post David, thankyou so much for sharing. A real treasure you have there. The Kanna sound wonderful, I would be very interested to see more of them (as I am sure the other members of the JTSG would!) You must bring them along to one of the meetings and remember, you have so many planes... if you ever wanted those kanna to have a good new home...! :) (PS coincidentally I have just said thankyou btw on my blog for your wonderful tool making articles - in particular the spokeshave one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Berin, I look forward to coming to a meeting, I have a few more Japanese tools. All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. Hi David,
    I learned many things about European wood furniture style from your blog.

    The full name of your knife is Kiridashi-Kogatana (切り出し小刀) .

    You are making several mistakes;
    1) The 2nd picture (IMG_1154.JPG) and the 4th picture (IMG_1156.JPG) are upside down (Japanese characters are upside down)
    2) The 2nd picture (IMG_1154.JPG) shows "Hyakuren" (not Hakuren) and the 4th picture shows "Ishedo Teruhide".

    If you have any question to Japanese hand tools, I might be able to help you.

    regards,nk,...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nk,
      Thank you very much for your help, I made a right mess of that description! I my need your help in the future. All the best, David.

      Delete
    2. Hi nk,
      I have a couple a Japanese tools I'd like your help on identifying if you don't mind. Could you give me your e mail address and I'll send you some pictures? All the best, David.

      Delete