Wednesday 21 November 2012

Antique Bookbinders Press


Earlier in the year I spent 2 very enjoyable days with box maker Andrew Crawford, he uses a lot of veneers but doesn't have a vacuum press. Instead he uses an old bookbinders press along with one he had made specially. Although I don't use veneers much, and then only band sawn veneers, I thought I would try out an old fashioned press and this was a monster!
It weighs over 200 lbs and I was glad that it could be disassembled.


 Here it is in its assembled glory with an 18" x 12 " platten.


The quality of this press is shown with the bronze parts as well as the gold paint.


Here is a shot of the ribbed cast iron base which was very heavy.

It seemed to be a Lion brand and was shown as quality 'A'
This was far from an essential addition to my workshop but I look forward to giving it a try.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking for a arm bookbinding press. contact me at supreme shoes@msn.com

    ReplyDelete