Tuesday 16 October 2012

Dovetail Marking Knives


I've just finished a small batch of 21 (why 21?!) dovetail marking knives. Here are the parts laid out for finishing and final assembly.


I purposely left some sapwood in the some of the last lot of handles and I've used one of them in the batch. The sapwood on African Blackwood is just as hard as the heart wood and gives a nice contrast especially when finished to a high standard.


The Pink Ivory is a shocking pink colour and stunning. It will hold this colour as long as it is kept out of direct sunlight, otherwise it goes a brown colour in time.


Snakewood is the most popular despite the extra cost. Unfortunately it is getting very difficult to get hold of and I'm down to my last 20 or so blanks.


Brazilian Tulipwood completed the very colourful batch. All these woods have an SG of 1 or more and wood sink if put in water, perish the thought!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi David - Are your Marking Knives available for purchase anywhere in the UK or EU anymore? And while we are at it, what about your Cabinet Makers Squares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesper, I'm sorry I'm just producing the guides now. I don't have the time to make other tools any more. All the best, David.

      Delete
    2. pity, I know it's a long shot but if you ever hear of anyone who would be interested in selling any of the two in used condition, please let me know, I would be very interested.
      Have a nice weekend.
      Kind Regards, Jesper Simensen, Aalborg DK - jesper@simensen.dk

      Delete